Fair Wear Foundation
In 2013 Outdoor and Sports Company Ltd (OSC) became the first UK outdoor sports supplier to become a member of Fair Wear Foundation. OSC’s outdoor brands Mountain Equipment and Sprayway along with it’s running brands Ronhill and Hilly are all signed up to the initiative.
Fair Wear Foundation (FWF) exists to promote fair labour conditions in the garment industry worldwide. As an affiliate member, OSC commits to implement the stringent FWF Code of Labour Practices in both it’s own business operations and the supply chain of all of its brands.
“We joined Fair Wear Foundation after undertaking a significant programme of preliminary work. Our affiliation with this independent organisation reflects how seriously we take our social responsibility towards all people connected to the OSC business.” commented Mike Deegan, the CEO of Outdoor and sports Company Ltd.
The FWF Code of Labour Practices contains eight elements, which are based on United Nations and International Labour Organization principles:
- Employment is freely chosen
- There is no discrimination in employment
- No exploitation of child labour
- Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining
- Payment of a living wage
- No excessive working hours
- Safe and healthy working conditions
- Legally-binding employment relationship
- FWF regularly verifies the implementation of these labour practices through factory audits and worker interviews both onsite and offsite, and through annual ‘Brand Performance Checks’ which assess how well each member’s management policies support the Code of Labour Practices. FWF publicly reports on the progress of member companies towards implementation of the Code elements.
"Fair Wear Foundation is pleased to welcome Outdoor and Sports Company as our newest member company. Over the past several months, OSC has been working hard to fulfill all the prerequisites for becoming a member. We look forward to working with the OSC brands and supporting them in their ongoing efforts to improve workplace conditions" said Erica van Doorn, director of Fair Wear Foundation.
You can view a copy of the OSC LTD Social Report 2015 below:Social Report 2015
You can check out more about the FWF here.
Ronhill are a brand of Outdoor & Sports Company Ltd